Moving to a new place can be both exciting and overwhelming, especially when it involves a long-distance trek. The key …
Moving somewhere new is always an exciting adventure, no matter if it’s to a place right down the road or across state lines. But let’s face it: the actual moving process is a giant pain. And once your moving date starts to get closer, your levels of anxiety and stress might get higher, making it harder to get anything packed and ready to go.
Luckily, there are a number of things you can do to make moving less stressful. Check out our helpful moving tips.
1. Make a Moving Plan
Once a moving date has been set, it’s time to make yourself a moving plan. Start by asking yourself a few questions:
- How much space will you have in your new home?
- Is it bigger or smaller than your current place?
- Is there storage?
- Are you interested in selling/donating items?
Our recommendation: don’t try to commit your moving to-do list to memory! Write down your checklist so you don’t forget anything [and so you can feel a sense of accomplishment each time you cross off an item].
2. Seriously, Don’t Forget the Minor Details
Calling a place home also involves small details that definitely can’t be overlooked. Before you leave for good, make sure you:
- Schedule, transfer, or cancel your utilities
- Forward your mail to the new address
- Update your home or renters insurance
- Collect and organize all personal records (school, medical, etc.)
- Cancel or transfer your gym membership
3. Focus on One Room at a Time
You may not think about it at first glance, but every single space in your home is filled with tons of stuff. From the largest items like bed frames and televisions to the smallest items like a cheese grater and stamps. Needless to say, there’s plenty to pack. And when you think about how much you need to pack all at once, you’re going to feel extremely overwhelmed.
Our moving experts recommend focusing on one room at a time. Catalog each item in that room to see how many moving boxes you’re going to need, what you’d like to get rid of, or what you’d like to donate in the future. The sooner you can start decluttering, the better!
4. Create an Overnight bag
When moving day rolls around, you’re going to want to avoid going through every box to find what you’re looking for. That’s why we recommend creating an overnight bag with a few essential items. This includes:
- A change of clothes and pajamas
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc.)
- Towel and a shower curtain
- Small electronics (like a phone charger)
- Snacks and water—yes, you can also plan on ordering pizza!
5. Hire a Professional Moving Company
At the heart of all our moving services are the crews that help you with your home move, and our team has one goal: make the process easier for you.
Move On only hires people who believe in our core purpose and values. We believe that a company with happy employees is a company that’s going to treat customers (and their belongings!) with respect. The moving process is always going to be difficult, no matter if it goes perfectly or not. And while we can’t take all the stress off, we can at least help wherever we can.
Moving is a big deal. Ready to make your Nashville move easy? Get a quote from the moving professionals from Move On today!